Mycroft Masada is a faith leader who moved to the Washington DC area from hir lifelong home of Boston MA in January 2014; a founding member of TransFaith’s National Council, steering committee member of TransEpiscopal, and former board member of Congregation Am Tikva. Mycroft is called to work for social justice at the intersections of faith, LGBTQI+ and fat communities, and is a writer and artist. Zie is partnered with Julia McCrossin, the mas(s)culine fatshion blogger, and they co-parent a dogter.

Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | My artwork (stationery, jewelry & more)

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Chris Hannon's memory has been a blessing for a year -- and yet...

Today is the first yahrtzeit of Chris Hannon, one of the very best friends and family members I’ve ever had, and ever will have – a year ago tonight, at the age of 37, he took his own life.

May his memory be a blessing (as we say in Judaism) -- his Earthly life continuing would be oh so much more of a blessing, but I believe that he lives on in many senses, and I know that his memory can continue to change and save lives. Both due to and despite his depression and other challenges, he lived an inspired and inspiring life -- and although he has left us too soon, he can help us prevent others from leaving before their time. (I am especially mindful of this as a member of the trans community, where the suicide attempt rate is over 40%.)

He has been in my thoughts and elsewhere every day, and in my dreams many nights. (Am I the only person who, during a dream about a dead loved one, realizes that they’re dead but not that I’m dreaming, and isn’t sure what I should do?)

These are the condolence cards I made for his mother and fiancé. And this is the blog post I wrote a year ago.

Post a Comment